Here we are, with our next Mudra, on Yogi Thursday and that is the Prithvi Mudra.
Life is beautiful and one needs the proper attitude to realize it. Mudras like the Gyan Mudra, Prithvi Mudra and Prana Mudra help in building a positive attitude.
Originated in India, Mudras have lived with us thousands of years through gestures performed during worship and Sandhya Vandana. Various Indian dance forms are also replete with silent eloquence of Mudra. If dance is the language, Mudras are its words.
Prithvi Mudra is a practical kind of Mudra. It has two benefits at the same time. It increases earth element and decreases fire element. It is the only Mudra that has this kind of properties.
Join the tip of the ring finger with the tip of thumb.
Prithvi – vardhak Mudra
Agni – shamak Mudra
How it works:
The ring finger represents Earth element and thumb represents Fire element.
The Earth element is an important part of bodily tissues like bones, cartilage, skin, hair, nail, flesh, muscles, tandons, internal organs etc.
The Agni element is related to body temperature and metabolism.
Since the elements fire and earth have qualities opposed to each other, Prithvi Mudra when formed cools the body and reduces the fire and helps overcome disorders of fever and inflammation.
1. Treats lack of stamina or endurance.
2. Chronic fatigue, general debility and convalescence can be overcome.
3. Osteoporosis, diminished bone density and rickets can be cured.
4. Degeneration of articular cartilage is treated.
5. Brittle nails are set right.
6. Fever is pacified.
7. Ulcers in the mouth is cured.
8. Burning sensation in eyes, stomach acidity, hands or feet is pacified.
9. Enhances vitamins A, B, C, D, E and K.
10. Treats emaciation and weight loss.
11. Hair loss and premature greying of hair can treated.
12. Makes the mind generous.
13. It makes one feel happy and contented.
14. Complextion of the skin radiates with health.
If you are a Kapha prakruti (suffer from cold and cough) person, then do this Mudra in moderation only.
You can practice it anytime you want. It has no particular time duration, but 15 minute thrice a day is the ultimate.
It reduces all physical weakness.
So here we go, start practicing and let me know how it is helping you.