Mudras can be performed by anybody and facing any direction. Mudras are universal. It can be practised anytime, anywhere, while sitting, standing, walking, travelling, watching TV, listening music or even while sleeping. And that’s the reason I love mudras. So this Yogi Thursday, let us do Vayu mudra.
Vayu means air and when the air element in the body increases because of diet or life style, Vayu mudra helps to regulate the element of air inside the body.
Index finger tip is to be placed at the base of the thumb and the thumb is to be placed on the back of the index finger. Other fingers are to be straight.
1. Excess vayu is decreased, blood circulation improves and any areas of the body experiencing pain starts getting relief.
2. Problem such as flatulence and joint pain related to rheumatism or gout is cured.
3. Vayu diseases such as parkinsons, sciatica, paralysis, cervical spondylitis and knee pains gets cured by regular practice of this mudra.
4. Pain in the neck, frozen arm are cured by the Vayu mudra followed by Pran mudra.
5. Hormone imbalance of endocrine glands can be overcome.
6. Convulsions are cured by regular practice daily for 15 minutes.
7. Stress, anxiety, irritability, lack of concentration, sleeplessness, dizziness, hiccups are cured.
8. If you lift something very heavy, perform Vayu mudra for 5 minutes immediately.
9. Used for pain management for the victims of polio.
10. If you feel uneasy after a meal, you should practice Vayu mudra while seated in Vajra asan (diamond pose).
15 minutes thrice a day.
As it is a therapeutic mudra, the practice of this mudra should be discontinued as soon as the disease has been overcome.
With mudras, physical body is to be rendered healthy so that in turn, they hold healthy emotions. A strong body holds strong mind and vice-versa, and it results into peace and universal love.
So the Upnishads says —
ऊँ सहनाववतु सहनौ भुनक्तु
ऊँ शांतिः शांतिः शांतिः।
Om, may He protect us,
May He cause us to enjoy.
May we exert together
Om, peace, peace, peace!
Let the peace spread and let me know how Vayu mudra is helping you…